If you are looking for a chocolate fix, then you came to the right place! These cookies are so soft, squishy and rich in chocolate. I will admit that these cookies are not "healthy" but I think there is nothing wrong with the occasional treat, or two. I mean what is life without excitement right! It's all about balance.
This recipe is vegan, and can be adapted to be gluten free too! I recommend grabbing one (or two) of these delicious morsels, popping them in the microwave for a few seconds and eating them while they are warm and gooey! The most ideal situation is to be sitting next to a window, with the rain bucketing outside, with a couple of these cookies and a mug of warm almond milk or a chai latte (or hot chocolate- if you can handle more chocolate!) But it really doesn't matter, because they are perfect for any situation! Take these to work, school, uni, these are great for an on the go snack!
Just a slight warning- these are incredibly dark chocolate, so if you are an extreme dark chocolate lover, these are for you! Another warning- they are too good to resist!
Chocolate Brownie Cookies
3/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup plant milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/4 cup plain flour (use buckwheat if gluten free)
1/2 cup almond meal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cocoa powder
Vegan dark chocolate (I used Whittaker's dark Ghana)
1) Place the coconut sugar and coconut oil into a pot and place over medium heat. Stir for 5 minutes or until coconut sugar is almost dissolved. Pour into a bowl
2) Mix into this the plant milk and vanilla essence- due to oil this may not combine fully, but that is expected.
3) In a separate bowl mix together all the dry ingredients, then fold into
the wet ingredients and mix until fully combined. You should now have a soft, malleable dough.
4) Take tablespoonfuls and using your hands roll it into a ball and press down into a cookie shape. Repeat with remaining dough.
5) Place on a tray lined with baking paper. Roughly chop/break your dark chocolate and press a piece into each cookie.
6) Place in an oven preheated at 180 degrees celcius for 10-12 minutes.