My Story

Hello everyone! My name is Kimberley and welcome to my blog!
I am a health fanatic and a new vegan, and will be blogging on all things health related!

My story begins in 2012, when I was around 15 years old. I wanted to lose weight and become skinner, fitter and healthier. However I didn't know what I was doing, and thus began the wrong way. I  religiously followed the "calories in, calories out" idea, and conditioned myself into consuming less calories and exercising more. Although I didn't count calories, I would say I was eating roughly 1000-1200 a day, and exercising for up to 2 hours a day, 6-7 days a week. The reason for this was I felt too big, I'd always been unhappy in my body, and I wanted to finally change that. I cut out all sweet foods, no cakes, chips, biscuits, everything I loved! I trained my body to adjust to my new low calories, low carb diet. And so, I began to lose weight! In about 3 months I'd lost about 10kg, and I felt fantastic! I was happier, I thought I was healthy and I really did feel amazing. I remember standing on the scales, 10kgs lighter feeling so proud of myself.
 However my excessive exercising and minimal eating didn't stop there, I continued to push myself, trying to lose more weight! I just couldn't stop! My family began to become worried, thinking that I was overdoing it.
However, after about 10 months or so of living this way, it started to became tiresome. I was getting fed up of so much exercise, and so little eating. I needed food! More importantly, I needed carbs. I needed the glucose going to my cells, giving me energy. And I wasn't giving myself that!
hello
Me 2 years ago. I may look happy and healthy, but i was doing heaps of exercise and eating little!
This is when the binging began. I would restrict myself for the day, get home, and just gorge on junk food! This caused me to miss workouts, because I was too full and sick, therefore I ate little the next day and exercised even more. This harsh cycle continued for almost a year!
Slowly but surely I began gaining back all the weight I lost, plus more! It was depressing. I felt like a failure, and it caused me to begin to hate myself and my body.
I was confused, tired and didn't know what to do, or how to control myself! I became a sour and angry person, and would inflict this in my home life (sorry to my family for having to deal with my crappy moods!).

That's when I discovered instagram. In 2014 I created @healthynzgirl, I stuck to it, posting pictures of what ate to keep me accountable, and following health and fitness pages that kept me motivated. I ate more plant based meals, lots of salads, smoothies and roast vegetables. I was happier. I also began exercising again, however this time I started well, with around an hour or so a day, 5 days a week.
My health journey started then! No more of this crash dieting, extreme exercising and this "quick and easy weight-loss" crap. I was doing it the right way!
Me- earlier this year! Happier and healthier!
Earlier this year, I discovered the high carb, low fat vegan lifestyle, and the benefits it had, not only on my health, but the environment and the animals. I've now been vegan for 3 months and I'd say its the best decision I've made, (but that will be another blog post! :) )

Here I am, a year and a half later. My new motto is to take each day at a time, and do NOT think too far into the future! Yes, it hasn't been easy. I've had many days where I've felt like giving up. However, each time I reminded myself that giving up isn't and option and pushed onwards. I 'm here today, to show you that despite any negativity, you can push through, stronger than ever and thrive!
My instagram account @healthynzgirl has played a huge part in my health journey. The motivation, support and care that I received is what kept me going, each and everyday, which is why I want to give back, share my successes, my failures, my tips, tricks, recipes and heaps more! I am still on a daily journey of finding health and happiness, I'm still learning and growing.

Stay happy!
Love Kim

Comments