Orange Upside Down Polenta Cake (vegan)

So the other day I was watching a Nigella Lawson cooking program ( I don't know why, but there's just something about her that I love!). In this episode she made a cake using polenta- something I've never heard of doing!
Polenta (also known as cornmeal) is a pretty unusual ingredient, it is a coarsely grounded flour that is quite common in Italian cooking. I've never heard of adding polenta to a cake though, so was curious and eager to try!
Now, I have a whole container of polenta just dying to be used! I got a large bag last year, and every recipe I've tried using it, majorly failed! Polenta just didn't see to work for me!
After researching a few vegan polenta cake recipes, I put together this totally delicious, citrusy, crumbly orange upside down polenta cake! This cake came out perfect, and needless to say, I will definitely be making this again, and again!
This recipe is vegan, low sugar, and can be adapted to be gluten free too!

Orange Upside Down Polenta Cake
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 plain flour or gluten free flour
1 cup polenta (also called cornmeal)
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
zest from 2 medium oranges
juice from 2 oranges
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cup plant based milk (oat, soy, almond, rice)
1 orange thinly sliced
Method:
1) Mix the flours, polenta, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and orange zest in a bowl.
2) In another bowl mix together the wet ingredients.
3) Mix the west ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine well.
4) Line a round cake tin with baking paper, and lay your orange slices along the bottom slightly apart.
5) Pour your cake batter on top and spread evenly.
6) Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes or until risen and golden on top!
7) Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the tin. Turn it upside down to reveal a totally delicious looking cake!

So due to the polenta, this cake can be a little dry and crumbly, which is why it's important not to overcook it. Serve this with some coconut yoghurt or vegan ice cream for a super yummy snack or dessert! I also wouldn't recommend eating this with your hand, as it can become messy fast!

Such a great texture and flavour!
Hope you try and enjoy this recipe!
As always, let me know if you ever make anything from my blog! I would love to see how it turned out!
Instagram- @healthynzgirl
Email- healthynzgirl@gmail.com
Tumblr- @healthynzgirl
Snapchat- kimzaay

Love you all!
Kimberley

Comments