Jackfruit Burgers

So recently I have discovered the magic ingredient that is. . . . Jackfruit!! I feel like more people need to know about this uncommon fruit as it is amazing!
Jackfruit is basically a type of tropical Asian fruit and is often called jack or simply jak.
I have heard about jackfruit before among the vegan community, but have only recently tried it! Now, when I say tried it, I mean the canned version! I feel like I need to travel to Thailand to really taste authentic and fresh Jackfruit (which I will def be doing in the foreseeable future!)
Today I'm sharing with you delicious Jackfruit burgers! In this recipe the jackfruit resembles "pulled pork" in a way, except without the the cruelty and all that!
This recipe is simple, delicious, low fat and completely vegan!

Jackfruit Burgers
Ingredients
serves 3-4 
580g can of jackfruit in brine or water (DO NOT use in syrup!)
1 onion chopped
bbq spice- 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp tumeric, 1 tsp garlic paste, 1 tsp ginger paste, 2 tbsp brown/white sugar)
1/4 cup bbq sauce (check that its vegan) + extra for topping
1-2 cups water
Buns, lettuce, tomatoes to serve
Method:
1) Drain and rinse your jackfruit. Remove the hard seeds inside too.
2) Place into a bowl, and mix in your bbq spice ingredients, mix well to fully coat all pieces.
3) In a pan, fry the onions until brown with some oil if needed, then add the ginger and garlic. Next place the jackfruit mix, toss around for 4-5 minutes.
4) Add the bbq sauce and 1 cup of water and mix well. Simmer for 20-30 mins under low heat to allow flavour to deepen. Continue to add water slowly as the jackfruit cooks.
5) When the jackfruit starts to soften use a fork and knife to cut pieces apart, creating shreds.
6) Serve in burger buns with salad of choice, and top with more bbq sauce.

The burgers truly tasted so so good! Spicy and delicious! The recipe is perfect to make for those who have never experience a vegan meal, and to show them how abundant and diverse a vegan diet really is!

If you ever give this recipe a try, please let me know! I would love to hear any feedback, and your creations!
Instagram- @earthykim

Comments