This Christmas my family and I had a fully vegan Christmas day lunch! It wasn't originally meant to be all vegan, but that's how it turned out, and my family loved it! Especially the cake I'm about to share with you all! I know its past Christmas, but this cake is totally perfect to make for any occasion! Its a deliciously dense vanilla cake, covered with a super creamy and decadent buttercream frosting! So yummy! And not a slight hint that the whole thing is vegan!
Vegan Buttercream cake
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp cornstarch
11/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegan butter (nuttlex, olivani, etc)
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
4 tsp vanilla essence
1 3/4 cup soy milk (or other plant milk)
1/2 cup vegan butter
2 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1) Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl, except the sugar
2) In another large bowl, soften the butter, add the brown sugar and whip using a hand mixer until creamy. Add half the milk, vanilla and vinegar and continue beating. Add half the flour mixture, and using a spoon fold the flour into the batter. Add the rest of the milk and continue mixing until fully combined. Add the flour and fold into the batter. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
3) Pour the batter into a cake tin, and bake at a oven preheated to 160 degrees celcius for 30-40 minutes, but check occassionally. Insert skewer into the cake to check if its fully cooked.
4) Remove cake and allow to fully cool
5) To make the icing, place the softened butter in a bowl and whip with a hand mixer until creamy. Fold in the icing sugar and vanilla. Cover the cooled cake with the buttercream icing, and top with berries, chocolate or coconut.
Note: If your buttercream icing isn't very thick, store the cake in the fridge, otherwise it should be fine outside (dependent on room temperature too!)
I hope you give this recipe a try!
I would also like to say a quick thank you for such an amazing year, thank you for reading my blog, and showing interest in what I have to post! Thank you for being a supporter, on here, as well as on my Instagram- @earthykim! I really truly appreciate all of you, and it amazes me how far and wide my readers are spread! Thank you for a great year, and I know that 2017 will be successful for us all!
This will likely be my last post for 2016, but I wish all of you a Merry Christmas, and a happy new year!
See you in 2017!