cheesy potato & broccoli bake (vegan)


Today I am coming to you with a totally random recipe I decided to whip up the other night, and it actually worked! I am the first to say, that I don't really do well with vegan cheeses. There are some out there that are stellar! But many that are just straight up, no! That's why I was very doubtful that this cheese sauce (vegan bechamel) would even work, I honestly expected it to taste awful!
However, I was very surprised that I actually loved it, and I had to share the recipe! BTW this is me being more adventurous with my cooking!!

Cheesy potato & broccoli bake (vegan)
Serves 3
Ingredients

Cheese sauce
1 cup water
2 cups soy milk
2 heaped tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 onion finely diced
1/2 tsp each tumeric and chilli powder
1/2 tsp each fresh garlic and ginger
2 tbsp flour
1/3 cup grated vegan cheese

3-4 medium potatoes peeled and sliced into thin circles
1 medium head of broccoli cut into thin florets
1 cup breadcrumbs or oat flour
1 tsp chilli and tumeric powder
2 tbsp vegan margarine or butter
1/4 cup vegan cheese grated

Method
1. Start by making the cheese sauce- place the onions in a pot with  some oil if needed and fry until brown. Add the tumeric, chilli, garlic, ginger and flour with a vegan tablespoons of water and cook for 30 seconds.
2. Slowly whisk in the water, then the soy milk, nutritional yeast and vegan cheese and continue to whisk as mixture thickens. Allow to cook for a further 1-2minutes then remove from heat. Do not allow mix to thicken too much, if it does whisk in more soy milk.
3. In a bowl place down a layer of the sliced potatoes, then a layer of broccoli and sprinkle over some salt. Pour about half of the cheese mixture over this. Place over another layer of potatoes, salt and the rest of the cheese mixture.
4. In a bowl mix together the breadcrumbs or oat flour, chilli, tumeric, margarine and vegan cheese till you form a sticky crumb consistency.
5. Sprinkle this crumb over the potato cheese bake.
6. Bake in an over at 180 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
7. Remove and sprinkle with sliced chives. Serve as is, or goes well with some vegan sour cream too!



Well there you have, a totally vegan and delicious cheesy potato bake! This is so so yum, and would actually go perfectly as a side dish this Christmas!

As always, let me know if you make any of my recipes, don't forget to send me photos or tag me on Instagram- @earthykim :)

Comments