I absolutely love blueberries, and the best thing about summer is that they become super affordable! While I'm actually not a fan of eating raw, fresh blueberries, I love baking with blueberries! Muffins, cakes, slices, you name it, I love it! Today I am coming to you with a super summery and delicious recipe; a vegan blueberry crumb cake! Even though summer is coming to an end here in New Zealand, the days are still hot and long! This is so perfect to make for picnics, shared lunches, work lunches or just pack up to take to work/uni/school! I most definitely will be taking a slice to uni tomorrow!
This recipe is so easy, and will take you less than 20 minutes to whip up! That really is the best part about all my recipes, no matter your level of expertise in the kitchen, I guarantee anyone can make this!
Blueberry crumb cake
1/3 cup vegan butter/margarine
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup + 2 tbsp flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup soy milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries- I used frozen ones from Oob organic
2tbsp flour (if using frozen blueberries)
3/4 cup oats
2 tbsp vegan butter/margarine
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1. Start by making the cake; whip together the butter and sugar until creamy. Then whisk in the vanilla and milk until combined. Fold in the flour and baking powder until you have a creamy consistency. Pour batter into a loaf tin that is either greased or lined with baking paper.
2. To make the filling; if using frozen blueberries, mix together the blueberries with the flour until fully coating then evenly spread on top of cake batter. If using fresh blueberries, then skip the flour
3. Topping; combined all the ingredients till you have a crumbly consistency, and spread evening over the blueberries.
4. Bake the cake at 180 degrees C for approximately 40-45 minutes checking occasionally- check with a skewer to knife until it comes out dry.
5. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes before slicing!
There you have it! A super easy, and amazingly delicious blueberry cake! The cake is so light and fluffy, and paired with the tangy blueberries and crumbly oat topping its an amazing combination! This served with some vanilla ice cream or yoghurt is also perfect for a snack or dessert!
Be sure to let me know if you ever give this, or any of my other recipes a try! I love seeing how it comes out! Tag or DM on Instagram- @earthykim
* This post is in collaboration with Oob Organic, check out their range of frozen fruits, ice creams and non dairy desserts!